Ekadashi is considered as an important day for Vaishnavites. This day comes twice in a Lunar month, in the dark fortnight and in the bright fortnight. One the day of Ekadashi, it is recommended to not eat or drink anything for the entire day. According to scriptures,it is said that sin resides in food grains on Ekadasi. So,one should abstain oneself from grains and lentils on this day. Vaishnavites fast on Ekadasi for the pleasure of Lord Krishna. This is the reason that it is essential for you to have information of Ekadashi calendar.
|08||January||Sunday||Pausha Putrada Ekadashi|
|09||January||Monday||Gauna Pausha Putrada Ekadashi
Vaishnava Pausha Putrada Ekadashi
|23||April||Sunday||Vaishnava Varuthini Ekadashi|
|20||July||Thursday||Gauna Kamika Ekadashi Vaishnava Kamika Ekadashi|
|03||August||Thursday||Shravana Putrada Ekadashi|
|29||December||Friday||Pausha Putrada Ekadashi|
Things to do on Ekadashi Day :
- Wake up early and take a shower. Stay calm and relax your mind and body.
- Do not eat grains and lentils.
- Give maximum time for spiritual activities like chanting the Holy Name, reading and hearing about the glories of The Lord.
- If it is not possible to remain empty stomach,then one can have fruits or Ekadasi food prasad.
- If have unintentionally missed Ekadashi, you can also fast on the next day of Ekadashi and discontinue fast on the third day. To avoid such mistakes, stay updated with Ekadashi calendar always.
- Do not sleep in the daytime and also avoid shaving and oil massage this day.
- If you don’t fast on Ekadashi, avoid having a meal more than one time in a day. It is recommended to not to have a meal after midday during Ekadashi.
- Always make sure to break the fast during the Paran Time.
- Also, avoid having heavy food initially as your stomach was empty during fasting and it might pain your stomach to eat heavy food all of sudden. Make sure to start a day with fresh fruit juices or light food.
- Also, make sure to not overeat a day before fasting as it might become difficult for you to stay empty stomach on the day of fasting.
Why is Ekadashi Fasting good for you?
Good for digestion:
There is no doubt that fasting on such an auspicious day of Ekadashi brings spiritual benefits in your life, but fasting is also good for your health. Since, you keep your body away from the heavy meals three times in a day on the fasting day,so your body as well as the mind feels more relaxed than other days.
Connects your soul with the super soul:
To get rid of your sins and bad karma, it is essential for the people who fast on Ekadashi to remember supreme power for the entire day. If you don’t keep God in your thoughts, your fasting may go useless. So, fasting done with a pure heart can connect your soul with the super soul.
Liberation from the life and death cycle:
Hindu sages believe that the Ekadashi fasting can help you to liberate from the large life and death cycles if fasting is done without any feeling of greediness.
At Iskcon Dwarka, Ekadashi is celebrated with a great enthusiasm and reverence. 24 hours Sankirtan is held. So, come and get yourself filled with a great devotion.