According to a report released by WHO, malnutrition due to food scarcity and starvation affects large portions of the Indian population. Despite being an agrarian country, and one of the largest exporters of food crops, we haven’t been successful in eliminating this problem the poor people suffer from in our country. As we progress, we should be more interested in contributing to initiatives that aim to give a solution to this problem of malnutrition. The Food Relief Foundation is a very important and necessary initiative by Iskcon Dwarka. It’s gained a lot of momentum since its inception and aims to reduce and wipe out malnutrition in India and in the world.
What began in India, as part of an inspiration by A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami, with its roots and origin have soon spread worldwide and to different countries. The ISKCON Food for Life has been lauded all over by International entities and individuals like the New York Times, Vegetarian Times, Nelson Mandela, Paul McCartney, etc.
As a result, the foundation has found a foothold in the world for supplying food prepared from vegan and vegetarian crops and products.
Following are some notable developments and changes the ISKCON Food Relief Foundation has seen unfold since it was conceived back in 1974:
- You may know about how temples usually take it upon themselves to feed the poor and hungry near the temples. It is this idea of A.C Swami that inspired many members of ISKCON along with the volunteers to begin and spread a global network of providing food and aid for the needy in every country it went to.
- Since the early 1990s Food for Life volunteers have distributed food in the warring countries of Chechnya and Bosnia, to the recent developments like the 2005 Hurricane Katrina, Pakistan Earthquake, 2015 Nepal Earthquake, and have always reached, often times the first, to provide them with blankets, vegetarian food, etc.
- The Annamrita program is another affiliate program of the Food for Life initiate, started by the ISKCON Food Relief Foundation. This has a particular focus on the eradication of malnutrition among children and poor students.
- For example, the Mid-day Meal scheme, initiated by the Indian government is largely supported by Annamrita as a major partner in providing great community service.
(Also Read: THE SECRET OF HAPPINESS IS TO DO CHARITY )
Why should you consider donating to the Food for Life Global cause by ISKCON?
- Ever since the Food Relief Foundation received international attention and gained popularity and support globally, many notable individuals have contributed to making this effort even more successful. This includes Chef Manav Paul whose contribution reduced the cost of production by 35%.
- By using energy in a much better way and obtaining seasonal vegetables, local grains, etc, Food for Life became increasingly efficient. For instance, the initiative is now able to serve a hot and nourishing meal for around 6.4 rupees or 10 cents. To explain that in a broader picture, your mere donation of a 100$ or 6500 rupees will be more than enough to serve a thousand meals.
- It is only through acts like these that the volunteers and concerned citizens will be able to liberate the poverty-stricken people from this vicious cycle of malnutrition and hunger. A small or a large donation by you would go a long way and affect a lot more lives than you can do alone by yourself.
ISKCON Dwarka is one such temple where you can donate for helping them reach this collective goal of eliminating starvation, hunger, and helping those suffering from them. Out of all the non-profit food relief foundations out there, no other can claim the level of efficiency and quality at the same time that ISKCON provides. You can donate to this cause in any way you may prefer, regardless of where you live or stay.